Strategic Thinking for Estates Developments - Expanding your estate career and contribution
Date - 17th September
(Registration from 8:45 am ready for a 9.00 am start and a finish time of approx 4:30 pm)
Location - Friends House, Waldo Williams 2, 173 - 177 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BJ
Friends House is centrally located, opposite Euston Station, and within walking distance of King's Cross and St Pancras International stations. It is easily reached by all major rail, bus and tube services
Price - £195 + VAT per person (price includes working lunch and refreshments)
It is a busy time in HE estates teams with ever increasing demands for greater contribution from estates to solve long term challenges. This course offers the opportunity to step away from the detail and to give yourself the time to reflect on strategic issues facing you and your organisation. The need for estates professionals to step up from managing parts of the estate to leading and directing major parts of the university require you to think about your own personal development and your future role. This course offers you the opportunity to share experiences amongst your peers and determine the areas in which you wish to improve and contribute more.
- 09.00 – 09.15 Welcome
- 09.15 – 11.00 Understanding your estate
- 11.00 – 11.15 Break
- 11.15 – 12.30 Setting the strategy
- 12.30 – 13.15 Lunch
- 13.15 – 14.15 Leadership and communication
- 14.15 – 15.15 Managing change
- 15.15 – 15.30 Break
- 15.30 – 16.30 Continuous improvement
- 16.30 - Finish
- Develop the confidence to produce and present an inspiring and compelling estate strategy
- Develop awareness of supporting guidance and material
- Explore areas of interest, confusion or concern
- Have the space away to develop their leadership skills
Who should attend?
- Directors of Estates, Deputy Directors of Estates and senior members of the Estates Team, who are looking to develop, refresh or enhance their strategic thinking skills for the long term.
This masterclass will focus on the following key areas:
- Exploring obstacles and barriers which prevent strategic change and identifying solutions
- Creating effective, meaningful and actionable strategic direction
- Understanding how to use strategic data, develop the skills to critically challenge, move from management to leadership and identify best value options
- To understand the strategic context of your own estate and how to maximise the value you can create from it
- Sharing experience and knowledge with your peer group
Paul Wilson is the managing director of Provelio, a management consultancy specialising in programme, project and change management services. Paul has been a project director for a Russell Group university and led delivery teams on many university framework appointments. Paul was the lead author of the Guide to Realisation of Strategic Change and Benefits which was produced as a national best practice guide for HEFCE. He has extensive experience of extracting estates cost and performance data to ensure that management information produced creates strategic choice and encourages effective strategic decision making. Paul also lectures at various undergraduate and post graduate courses and has researched several relevant areas including procurement, system building, sustainability and BIM.
“This course has enabled me to look at how I can best position any strategic initiatives for presentation to the board with an improved chance of succeeding.”
"Increasing the awareness of the need for an Estates Strategy tailored to the requirements of the Universities Strategic Planning Framework within the context of it's 5 year horizon whilst providing flexibility for the future and the unknown."