The Association of University Directors of Estates (AUDE) promotes excellence in the strategic planning, management, operation and development of Higher Education estates and facilities. AUDE offers membership to publicly funded UK bodies whose primary remit is higher education teaching and/or research. There are also membership categories for commercial bodies and alternative providers. AUDE is a not-for-profit organisation. Any funds generated through the activities of the Association are used to fulfil its objectives and mission.
Download the AUDE Constitution (updated April 2021).
Download AUDE's business plan 2017-2020 (members only)
Download AUDE's strategic plan (2022 - 2025)
Watch our video on current and upcoming projects and partnership work
AUDE’s activities include:
- providing opportunities for discussion, consultation, the exchange of knowledge and good practice
- helping members share expertise and take action to address common concerns
- promoting and enhancing professional competence
- representing member interests
- building partnerships with related organisations regionally, nationally and internationally.
- To promote excellence in the strategic planning and management, administration, operation and development of the University Estate and Facilities
- To optimise solutions to common problems and concerns by disseminating and harnessing the particular expertise, experience and knowledge of Members for mutual benefit
- To further AUDE objectives by meetings, seminars, conferences, lectures, discussions and other activities
- To provide forums for discussion, consultation and exchange
- To influence opinion formers and decision-makers on estates issues
- To consider and advise on matters referred by Universities UK, the Higher Education Funding Councils and other outside bodies and individuals
- To consult with the professional institutions and other bodies on estate matters and to work in partnership with related organisations regionally, nationally and internationally
- To maintain and promote professional competence and ethical standards
- To promote opportunities for development and training for the benefit of Members and their respective staff
- To establish, develop, maintain and promote systems for the dissemination of information relating to estate matters
- To promote the reputation and activities of the Association and its members regionally, nationally and internationally.
Areas of responsibility
AUDE's members are generally represented by the most senior member of staff responsible for managing, planning, constructing and maintaining all types of accommodation for Higher Education Institutions. Though arrangements vary, most Directors of Estates are also involved in managing a wider range of services including cleaning, security, grounds maintenance, space planning and management, car parking and traffic and, in some institutions, additional services such as catering, conference and sports facilities, insurance, furniture and equipment and printing.
AUDE hold an Annual General Meeting at the conference, and minutes can be downloaded below (members only):
13 April 2021
16 July 2020
15 April 2019
9 April 2018
10 April 2017
4 April 2016
30 March 2015
14 April 2014
25 March 2013
2 April 2012
Other sector associations
We also try to work with other sector associations as much as we can. We have compiled a list of all the associations we are aware of in HE. If you know of anymore, please let us know.
There are also lots of acronyms in the sector, so we have compiled a useful list.